Thread: Imprimis - America's Cold Civil War

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Imprimis - America's Cold Civil War

I enjoy reading Imprimis and this is one of the best. Great explanation of the difference of how conservatives and liberals see humans and the Constitution and how that is affecting political discourse now. I highly recommend subscribing to Imprimis if you are not already a subscriber.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/americas-cold-civil-war/
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I get that publication every month. Good reading.

I'm surprised the author of that article mentioned nothing about the possibility of convening a Constitutional Convention to "fix our woes."

Ironically, it seems like it's mainly conservative states that want one so bad, so as to rein in "entitlement programs" and gut the 14th Amendment and end birthright citizenship along with it.

On the agenda for a Convention of States: an amendment to require a balanced budget, term limits for congress, repealing the federal income tax and giving states the power to veto any federal law, supreme court decision or executive order with a three-fifths vote from the states, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...onvention-alec

Of course, if we open that barn door, there's no telling what could come out of it... it could change the face of America forever.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Ironically, it seems like it's mainly conservative states that want one so bad, so as to rein in "entitlement programs" and gut the 14th Amendment and end birthright citizenship along with it.
    Neither the 14th Amendment, nor any other amendment, guarantees birthright citizenship to non-citizens who have babies. When the 14th was enacted, the sponsor of the amendment (a Republican) said it was ONLY for former slaves. (Dimocrats tried to say their babies were not citizens....) The reason for the Amendment was to guarantee that no one could claim a black child wasn't a citizen and make them slaves. The 14th put an end to that.

The 14th Amendment was written strictly for black people, no one else.

No one argued with that until Uncle Teddy used it to claim that non-citizen babies were automatic citizens, guaranteeing non-citizens could stay here to raise their "citizen" baby. This has been "accepted" (by Dimocrats) ever since, but it's still unconstitutional, based on the intent of why the 14th exists.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Neither the 14th Amendment, nor any other amendment, guarantees birthright citizenship to non-citizens who have babies. When the 14th was enacted, the sponsor of the amendment (a Republican) said it was ONLY for former slaves. (Dimocrats tried to say their babies were not citizens....) The reason for the Amendment was to guarantee that no one could claim a black child wasn't a citizen and make them slaves. The 14th put an end to that.

The 14th Amendment was written strictly for black people, no one else.

No one argued with that until Uncle Teddy used it to claim that non-citizen babies were automatic citizens, guaranteeing non-citizens could stay here to raise their "citizen" baby. This has been "accepted" (by Dimocrats) ever since, but it's still unconstitutional, based on the intent of why the 14th exists.
    He constantly tries to turn things into what they're not. Typical left.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

We should go back to only allowing property owners to vote. Those that leach from the system have zero skin in the game.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    We should go back to only allowing property owners to vote. Those that leach from the system have zero skin in the game.
    Exactly, land owners were the only ones allowed to vote originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So I, as an active duty member, moving every 2-3 years, have not bought a house. I think I have some skin in this game but I should not be allowed to vote because my service has prevented me from buying land?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I think it should be if the majority of your income comes from social welfare programs, not including social security, you can not vote.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

It's a good article.

The ONE thing that would fix the US within a single election cycle is reverting to the original constitutional intention that only people with "skin in the game" could vote. What the exact qualifications would look like are fun to talk about but it's all hypothetical, the US electorate is not going to vote for many / most of them(selves) to lose the franchise.
    Last edited by T2K; 11-21-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    It's a good article.

The ONE thing that would fix the US within a single election cycle is reverting to the original constitutional intention that only people with "skin in the game" could vote. What the exact qualifications would look like are fun to talk about but it's all hypothetical, the US electorate is not going to for many / most of them to lose the franchise.
    Agree it won't change but it is not because people will lose the franchise. It is because they don't have the franchise that they feel entitled to take from others, and the only way they can continue to do that legally is be being able to vote.

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Agree it won't change but it is not because people will lose the franchise. It is because they don't have the franchise that they feel entitled to take from others, and the only way they can continue to do that legally is be being able to vote.
    I edited my statement for clarity. The only way such a change could happen is for the US to have it's first civil war (we've previously had two revolutions, one successful the other unsuccessful). No one wants that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Maybe Robert Heinlein had the right idea in "Starship Troopers" where only veterans were "citizens" and could vote.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Except for skirmishes in the streets occasionally, I can't see another civil war. Unless, we suffer a serious crash. If people are hungry, I see it getting ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Except for skirmishes in the streets occasionally, I can't see another civil war. Unless, we suffer a serious crash. If people are hungry, I see it getting ugly.
    What do you think is going to happen when the "freebies" stop?
    It WILL be ugly !!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”